The following is not a definitive statement of responsibilities but is concerned with the common understanding of broad principles by which the Governing Body and individual Governors will operate.
- We have responsibility for determining, monitoring and keeping under review the broad policies, plans and procedures within which the school operates.
- We have a collective responsibility to annually review and thereafter ratify the school’s Safeguarding and welfare policies.
- We recognise that, with the Finance Director, our Head is responsible for the implementation of policy, management and operation of the school and the implementation of the curriculum and pastoral care.
- Our overriding concern is the welfare of the school as a whole.
- We have no legal authority to act individually and always act as the Governing Body.
- We have a duty to act fairly and without prejudice.
- We encourage open discussion of issues and respect the opinions of others.
- We consider carefully how our decisions may affect our pupils before their implementation.
- Accepting office as a Governor involves commitment of time and energy. We will dedicate appropriate levels of time and focus to discharge the duties expected of us.
- We involve ourselves actively in the work of the Governing Body.
- We will get to know the school well and respond to opportunities to involve ourselves in school activities.
- Along with the requirement for each Governor to be regularly updated on Safeguarding/Child Protection, we will undertake appropriate training and development.
- We work as a team.
- We will ensure that we maintain constructive working relationships with our Head, staff, and other stakeholders in the community.
- We observe complete confidentiality on all School matters.
- We exercise the greatest prudence if a discussion of a potentially contentious issue affecting the school arises outside the Governing Body.
- We encourage open expression of views at meetings, but accept collective responsibility for all decisions made by the Governing Body.
- In making or responding to criticism or complaints affecting the school, we will follow the procedures established by the School.
- Our visits to school will be undertaken within the framework agreed with the Head.
- In discharging our duties, we will always be mindful of our responsibility to maintain and develop the ethos and reputation of Longacre.
Appointment of new Governors
- When the opportunity presents itself to appoint a new Governor, we will, through the Governance Committee, undertake to consider applications from all interested parties.