The School and the local community
Longacre pupils are regularly involved in community events and visits. The school’s orchestra and choir perform at the Bramley Village Fete every year and our Chamber Choir has visited Birtley House Nursing Care Home on a number of occasions. A new community tradition was started this year with pupils and parents carol singing on the village green. The school also hosts afternoon tea for senior citizens from Shamley Green and the surrounding villages.
We invite pupils from local state schools to join our pupils for events and visits such as the author visits we host during the annual Guildford Book Festival. Longacre also hosts an annual football tournament for all the local state primary and infant schools.
The school makes its facilities available to local clubs and groups such as:
- Shamley Green Art Club who make use of the Art Studio on a weekly basis
- Shamley Green Cricket Club who use the Sports Hall and Astro for nets practice
- Blackheath Cricket Club who use the sports facilities and in return the school uses their cricket field for matches
- Ewhurst Youth Football club who occasionally make use of the football pitches for training
- Love this Life Basketball Club who use the Sports Hall weekly and in the school holidays
- Rugby Tots who use the Sports Hall at weekends
The school also makes its facilities available to the local community to hire for birthday parties, weddings and functions.
The school holds a number of fund-raising drives throughout the year with a focus on a different charity each term. Charity Days are organised by one of the four school houses who elect which charity they would like to support. Over the past few years pupils and their families have supported the following charities:
- Children’s Liver Disease Foundation
- Orchard Dementia Centre
- David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation
- Railway Children
- Children’s Growth Foundation
- World Land Trust
- Shooting Star Chase
- Leukaemia Care
- British Heart Foundation
In addition to termly Charity Days, the school also gets involved with wider community charity initiatives such as the Romanian Shoebox Appeal organised by local Rotarians each Christmas. We have also joined forces with Prior’s Field school for the past few years to support their book donation drive for the book charity Delight.
The Longacre PTA also donates 10% of the funds raised at their annual Summer Ball to a local charity. Last year the PTA chose to support The Fountain Centre, a charity for cancer patients, their families and carers, located in the St Luke’s cancer unit at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford.